Monday, June 25, 2012

ARIZONA INVASIVE SPECIES

The invaders in the flesh....or in the shell in their case.  The invaders were lurking in a small pond outside Forest Lakes, Arizona.  I was there on Memorial Day and had plans to take my children fishing.  The area was beautiful, right in the middle of the forest.  At this lake, there was a sign posted saying that the fish caught here were "catch and release only", which was perfect for me and my children.   The fish were slow to biting, but these little aliens were not.  Apparently, they will eat worms too.  These buggers hung on for their dear life (and also to their demise).  They were the largest sized crayfish I had seen in a long time and all of them were at least five to six inches long.  They were huge and from the looks of it, they were eating healthy.  We only caught one fish ( which was released), and I was not surprised.  I also noticed their was almost no aquatic plants growing in the shallows.  Little to no fish to catch, almost no plants, and I definitely did not see any amphibians near the grass or in the water.  As you guessed it, the invasion, was here.

No Arizona water is safe anymore.  Fish, aquatic plants, and amphibians are in an all out habitation war and they don't even know it.  That is how good this enemy is.  Do not be fooled in thinking it stops at the water.  Many species of birds and animals are just as effected by this war.  The war is real and they need help. No habitat left behind !
The war wages on.

No comments:

Post a Comment